Finding Peace of Mind
“You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!”1
Duke University did a study on “peace of mind.” Factors found to contribute greatly to emotional and mental stability are:
· The absence of suspicion and resentment. Nursing a grudge was a major factor in unhappiness.
· Not living in the past. An unwholesome preoccupation with old mistakes and failures leads to depression.
· Not wasting time and energy fighting conditions you cannot change. Cooperate with life, instead of trying to run away from it.
· Force yourself to stay involved with the living world. Resist the temptation to withdraw and become reclusive during periods of emotional stress.
· Refuse to indulge in self-pity when life hands you a raw deal. Accept the fact that nobody gets through life without some sorrow and misfortune.
· Cultivate the old-fashioned virtues—love, humor, compassion, and loyalty
· Do not expect too much of yourself. When there is too wide a gap between self-expectation and your ability to meet the goals you have set, feelings of inadequacy are inevitable.
· Find something bigger than yourself to believe in. Self-centered egotistical people score lowest in any test for measuring happiness.2
Finding peace of mind has been a struggle since Bible times, but today’s verse is just as true for us today as it was then. When we keep our minds on Christ, He helps us let go of the past, forgive where necessary, trust Him and persevere when things get hard, and believe that all things are possible in Him. He is the only true Source of peace.
Suggested prayer: Dear God, at times I let my mind wander from you and start focusing on things that are out of my control instead of focusing on the One who is IN control of it all. I want the perfect peace that comes from trusting in You. Help me keep my thoughts on you and be an example of Your peace to others. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Isaiah 26:3 (NLT).
Today’s Encounter was written by: Crystal B.
All articles on this website are written by
Richard (Dick) Innes unless otherwise stated.