New Year's Tips for Better Living
"Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun."1
Here are twenty tips for better living in the New Year:
1. Rise and pray every day: "Again today, dear God, I
commit and trust my life and way to you. I'm available.
Please use me to be 'as Jesus' to every life I touch."
2. Don't sweat the small stuff.
3. Remember these simple sentences: "I was wrong."
"I am sorry." "Please forgive me." "Thank you." Say
them whenever needed and say "I love you" often—
whether needed or not.
4. Come apart and rest a while before you come apart—
stress is a killer.
5. Remember, "Nothing changes if nothing changes."
6. Don't nurse grudges: "Failing to forgive is like drinking
poison and waiting for the other person to die."
7. Carpe diem. Seize the day. "Opportunity comes to
pass—not to pause."
8. Quit the blame-game—"choice, not chance, determines
9. Control your thinking or your thinking will control you.
"What the mind dwells on the body acts on."
10. Invest your life in a worthwhile cause by having a
noble purpose for which to live—one that is bigger than
yourself—one that will help make your world a better
place in which to live.
11. Be a positive realist. You will always see what you are
looking for: "Two men look out the same prison bars.
One sees mud, the other stars."
12. The greatest abilities are availability, dependability,
13. "There is no pillow as soft as a clear conscience."
14. "Smooth seas never make skillful sailors."
15. When God is silent. "I believe in the sun even when it
isn't shining. I believe in love even when I am alone.
I believe in God even when he is silent."
16. Cry when needed. "Every unshed tear is a prism
through which all of life's hurts are distorted."
17. Laugh a lot. It's still the best medicine.
18. Remember, "The bumps are what we climb on."
19. Fear not. At least 95 percent of the things we fear
never happen. Trust God for the other five percent.
20. Have faith and put God first with your time, talents,
and tithe (money).
Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to so live. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."
1. Psalm 37:3-6 (NIV).
NOTE: "Tips for Better Living" is available on the ACTS online store beautifully presented at: http://tinyurl.com/tips4living.